California Consumer Privacy Act Job Applicant & Employee Privacy Notice
Effective date: July 1, 2020
View in español here.
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”), Fortune Brands Home & Security, Inc. (“FBHS”) or the FBHS operating company you are applying to work for (hereinafter, “we”, “our”, or “us”) may collect personal information and use it for certain business purposes as described below in this Job Applicant and Employee Privacy Notice. We are required to disclose the following information to California “consumers” regarding our collection of their personal information. Under the CCPA, “consumers” means California residents, including job applicants, employees or contractors of a business.
Categories of Personal Information We Collect
We may collect one or more pieces of personal information from the following categories of personal information, as pre-defined by the CCPA:
- A. Identifiers: A real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, Social Security number, driver’s license number, or passport number, other similar identifier, information necessary to provide job apparel or safety equipment.
- B. Personal information categories listed in the California Customer Records statute (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80(e)): A name, signature, Social Security number, physical characteristics or description, address, telephone number, passport number, driver’s license or state identification card number, insurance policy number, education, employment, employment history, bank account number, medical information, or information necessary to provide health insurance and other benefits, including dependents, and emergency contact information.
- C. Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law: Age, race, color, national origin, citizenship, religion or creed, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy or childbirth and related medical conditions), veteran or military status.
- D. Commercial Information: Products or services purchased in connection with an employee discount program.
- E. Internet or other similar network activity: Browsing history, search history, information on a consumer’s interaction with a website, application.
- F. Geolocation data: Physical location.
- G. Sensory data: Audio.
- H. Professional or employment-related information: Current or past job history or performance evaluations, future potential.
Business or Commercial Purpose for Using the Personal Information We Collect
We may use the categories of personal information described above for the following business and commercial purposes:
- Complete the transaction for which your personal information is collected and as necessary to enter into or perform a contract to which you are a party;
- Detect, protect against and prevent security incidents and illegal or unauthorized activities, investigate complaints and claims, and provide other security protections;
- Train, develop, assess, and promote our employees;
- Cooperate with law enforcement and protect our rights, interests, safety or property or those of our customers, service providers and other third parties;
- Comply with and enforce applicable legal and regulatory obligations, and respond to governmental requests;
- Enforce our policies, terms and conditions, or other agreements;
- Defend against or pursue claims, disputes, or litigation – in court or elsewhere;
- Provide technical and operational support by debugging to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality;
- Evaluate applications for transfers to new positions, verify your information and complete reference checks (where applicable and pursuant to applicable law), and determine the terms of an employment offer or promotion;
- Carry out reasonable internal purposes based on your employment with us, such as communicating with you, giving assignments, providing reviews and evaluations, administering payroll and benefits, providing reimbursement of authorized expenses, arranging business travel and relocation and providing apparel or safety equipment;
- As described to you when collecting your Personal Information or as otherwise set forth in the CCPA or subsequently agreed to by you;
- To evaluate or conduct a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of our assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which Personal Information held by us about our Consumers is among the assets transferred, and
- Other uses which you might reasonable expect us to collect information.
Changes To Our Job Applicant and Employee Privacy Notice
We reserve the right to amend this privacy notice at our discretion and at any time. When we make changes to this privacy notice, we will post the updated notice on our website. If you have any questions or would like to access this policy in an alternative format, please contact Human Resources.