Better than Benchmarks
Thanks to our dedicated teams and fast, aggressive actions, our Covid case rates have been significantly lower than U.S. benchmarks. Learn more in our 2020 ESG Report.
We quickly and aggressively enhanced our safety protocols and practices to provide safe workplaces for our associates during the COVID-19 pandemic. Throughout the crisis, we have been guided by reputable health organizations such as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA), in addition to adhering to applicable local and federal directives.
Our organization-wide, cross-functional COVID-19 project management office (PMO) has been coordinating our COVID-19 response since February 2020. The PMO discusses challenges, opportunities, trends and shares information and best practices so that our entire company can benefit from our collective experiences in this quickly-changing environment.
Keeping Our Associates Safe at Work
At Fortune Brands, our company purpose is fulfilling the dreams of home. Our products — especially now — play a critical role in people’s lives as millions of people have been spending a great deal more time in their homes. Due to our strong safety measures, our operations have been able to remain open except where our team felt a temporary closure was needed early on in the pandemic.
Below are a few of our enhanced safety measures over the last year:
- Requiring that employees work at home when possible.
- Relaxing attendance policies to provide more flexibility for our associates.
- Establishing strict processes for contact tracing and quarantine to manage exposure risk in our facilities.
- Proactively mandating face covers be worn, ahead of many local face mask mandates.
- Made all telemedicine visits through our benefits plan free for four months, to correspond with the height of the Spring U.S. outbreak.
- Proactively mandating face covers be worn in the vast majority of our locations, ahead of face mask mandates.
- Encouraging associates to take advantage of our existing Employee Assistance Program, which provides free sessions with professional counselors for our associates and their dependents.
- Running on-site COVID-19 vaccination clinics to provide associates with quick and easy access to the vaccine as soon as possible.
Through virtual town hall meetings, daily huddles, email communications, increased on-site signage and our internal Connect app for associates, Fortune Brands has been emphasizing the serious nature of the virus, safety precautions, highlighting company‑provided benefits and providing guidance on what to do if experiencing illness.
In 2020, Fortune Brands provided health kits to all of its global associates. The kits included a health assessment notecard, with instructions on what to look for before coming to work and when to stay home, disposable face masks, a face mask strap adjuster, hand sanitizer, thermometer and a no-touch tool to reduce contact with surfaces when in public places.
Moen added its voice to support a moratorium on water shutoffs during the COVID-19 pandemic. In Mexico, the MasterBrand team worked with local officials on a “Clean Hands Save Lives” awareness campaign. We are also encouraging our associates and their families to take action against COVID-19 in their communities. As the importance of mask-wearing became more evident, we helped normalize mask use in public places by launching a #MasksAreCool campaign and coloring contest.
As COVID-19 vaccines become more widely available, we have also shared information on vaccine efficacy and safety via the CDC and GetVaccineAnswers.org. Since early 2021, we have been working with local health departments, pharmacies, hospitals and vendors to provide onsite vaccine clinics for our associates. We are encouraging all associates who want the vaccine to get it as soon as it is their turn. Click the links below to learn more about some of our vaccine events:
Supporting Our Communities
Whether providing cash donations to local food banks and organizations, catering lunches for local-area first responders, supporting blood drives or donating supplies, our brands have also been leaders in the community to provide assistance to those in need.
- Master Lock has donated $300,000 in locks and lock boxes to healthcare workers to protect their scarce personal protective equipment.
- With support from MasterBrand Cabinets and Master Lock, Moen built and donated 28 touchless handwash stations to the city of Cleveland to install in public areas such as parks, allowing passers-by to stop and wash their hands with soap and water. MasterBrand Cabinets helped devise the unit base, while Master Lock provided locks to secure the materials. This creative and timely donation will last long after the coronavirus crisis.
- As part of Mexico’s “Clean Hands Save Lives” awareness campaign, MasterBrand has donated vanities to the Mexican cities where we operate as part of an effort to drive awareness towards washing hands.
Manufacturing Personal Protective Equipment
Across the organization, including Moen’s headquarters and Therma-Tru’s innovation center, our locations with 3-D printers fabricated face shields and donated them to local hospitals. The largest producer has been our Therma-Tru plant in Matamoros Mexico, which manufactured and donated more than 20,000 face shields to local hospitals and care facilities. Our Company has a strong heritage of giving back. Click here to learn more about how we support our communities.
Our Company has a strong heritage of giving back. Click here to learn more about how we support our communities.